A Shelley Miscellany

What follows here is a miscellany of reports and stories by and about these Shelleys over the years. They are listed in chronological order. For the most part, I have sought to show these Shelleys in their own words.

1066-1419. A History of the Shelley Manor in Essex

- from A History of the County of Essex (volume 4), 1956

In 1066, Shelley was held by Levedai as a manor and as 80 acres and was worth 60s. In 1086 it was held by Rainald of Geoffrey de Mandeville and was worth £4. The manor was subsequently held of the Earls of Essex, the heirs of Geoffrey de Mandeville, by the service of one fee, until the death of Humphrey, Earl of Essex, in 1373. It was then assigned in dower to Joan, widow of Humphrey. She died in 1419. Afterwards the manor was held in chief of the Crown.

1413. The Will of Richard Shelley

- will dated October 13, 1413 at Knockholt near Sevenoaks in Kent

"Richard Shelley, rector of the church of the apostles Peter and Paul of Swanscombe - to be buried in the chancel of the said church.

I leave £10 to amend a missal to the high altar to serve there whilst it will endure. To the fabric of the said church 5 marcs. To the fabric of the church of Knockholt 5 marcs. I leave £20 to find an honest chaplain to celebrate divine services in the church of Swanscombe for my soul, my father and mother, John Brencheley and all faithful departed for three years.

To two daughters of John Shelley my brother not yet married £10 each to their marriage. To John son of the said John my brother 20s. and three qrs of barley. To each of my godsons in the parish of Swanscombe 3s. 4d. To Thomas Colepepyr 10 marcs. To Nicholas my brother 100s. To a certain Johan of London 13s. 4d. To Alice Schorham 20s. and 4 qrs of barley and I remit all she owes me. To Stephen my servant 40s and my third best bed. To Richard Perot my servant 20s. and a qr. of wheat and 2 of barley. To Richard Carter my servant 20s. and 4 qrs of barley.

I wish that my feoffees in all lands and tenements which I lately bought in the parishes of Swanscombe and Stone enfeoffe the said Richard Carter in a cottage with garden lying opposite Thomas Helpryngham in the Town of Swanscombe and in an acre of land lying in the field behind the said tenement of Thomas Helpryngham which was sometime John Warner’s. If he die without heirs then to remain to Roger Shelley my kinsman. I wish my feoffees enfeoff the said Roger Shelley my kinsman in all my other lands etc. in the above parishes jointly purchased. If he die without heirs then to be sold and the money distributed in deeds of charity for my soul etc.

To John Stalkendene of London, goldsmith, my kinsman one of my black gowns with ‘beaver’ fur. Residue to my to my executors to distribute in deed of charity and celebrations of masses."

Executors: the said John Shelley my brother, William Baron citizen and dyer of London, and the said Roger Shelley my kinsman. Dated at London.

1526. A Brass Rubbing in Sussex
- the brass in Clapham Church.

The brass of Sir John Shelley and his wife in Clapham Church is unique in Sussex for its representation of the Trinity, showing the Almighty in a cope and triple crown.  But the brass is renowned on its own account as one of the richest gems of craftsmanship from 16th-century England.  

Sir John, who died in 1526, is as handsome as a man could be even in that great day of pageantry.  He wears a richly embroidered tabard over his Tudor armor and his long hair falls on his shoulders.  His wife Elizabeth has a rich mantle falling to her feet, embroidered with heraldry, and wears a delicately patterned headdress.

1585. Shelley Imprisonment in Marshalsea
- a petition on behalf of Richard Shelley accused of treason.

Two accounts are extant of the petition he presented on behalf of his persecuted fellow Catholics. One is by Peter Penkevel, who was his servant in the Marshalsea at the time of his death. This is printed by Father Pollen.

Peter Penkevel says he came to London about 1584, when Mr. Robert Bellamy and others were prisoners in the Marshalsea. But Robert Bellamy was not committed there till 30 January 1586. So Penkevel must be wrong in his dates, and all that he knows about the petition, which was presented (as he says, to the Queen) nearly a year previously, is mere hearsay. Strype on the other hand seems to have seen the petition and, according to him, it was presented to Parliament.

The only result was that Richard Shelley was sent to the Marshalsea on 15 March 1585. There he remained till his death, which probably took place in February or March 1586. He was certainly alive and in the Marshalsea in October 1585. He was sick when Peter Penkevel came to him, and "shortly after died, a constant confessor in the said prison."

1609. The Voyage of the Sea Venture to Jamestown, Virginia
- an official account (Henry Shelley being listed as a passenger)

The Sea Venture sailed as part of a flotilla of nine ships commanded by Admiral Sir George Somers. The intended destination was Jamestown, Virginia.

On 2 June, the Sea Venture, flagship of the "Third Supply" (six ships and two pinnaces); departed London. On 23 July, a hurricane at sea separated the Sea Venture from the other vessels. After four days, she began taking on water. Land was sited and she wrecked between two reefs off the shores of Bermuda on 28 July 1609. All of approximately 150 passengers safely made land.

Two pinnaces were built during the following nine months, the Deliverance and the Patience. These vessels sailed on to Virginia on 10 May 1610, leaving two men behind. On 19 June 1610, Sir George Somers volunteered to return to Bermuda aboard the Patience for supplies for the struggling colony of Virginia. He arrived in Bermuda, dying there in November of 1610. Captain Matthew Somers returned to England aboard the Patience with his uncle's body. Three men were left on the islands to hold the claim.

1699. A Merchant's Voyage and Cargo
- a letter from Giles Shelley, a freebooting privateer.

"I am just now come to anchor at Cape May. Since I left you at the Cape of Good Hope, I went to Madagascar, where I sold your goods for seventeen bales of muslin, fine and coarse, twenty-four bales of white calicoes; one ton of elephants' teeth, two or three hundredweight of opium, and one bale of painted calicoes (which goods I have now onboard).

Sometime afterward I took on board seventy-five passengers, went to Port Dolphin, and there went ashore. I provisioned the ship and bought a few negroes and some pigs.

From thence I went to Cyan and landed twenty-two passengers. The remainder are now onboard and most of them are bound for Virginia and Delaware with Andrew Graverard who is here with us. I have for their passage about twelve thousand pieces of eight and about three thousand Lyon dollars.

My carpenter, the tailor, and one man more are dead. Thomas Pringle and three men more left me at Madagascar. If you think fit, you may let my wife know of my arrival for I have not written to her.

Captain Burges arrived at St. Mary's the day I sailed from here. He has sold his goods well. No other vessel arrived while I was there. I have but twenty-three negroes onboard for the benefit of the owners.

Each bale of muslin I bought for one hundred pieces in a bale; the calico for one hundred twenty pieces in a bale. I desire you to send by the bearer to me at Cape May. Unless I should be stopped by contrary winds here, I shall be very soon at Sandy Hook. Our ship is very foul and leaky.

Make what dispatch you can for fear some of my passengers should betray us. I have hired Mr. Graverard on his voyage to Virginia to pilot us in here, for which I must pay him. It is a dangerous place and very foggy rainy weather.

I think it needless to enlarge any more at present but wish all were safe ashore."

1735. Widow Shelley and Dick Turpin
- a newspaper account in Reads Weekly Journal (February 8, 1735)

“On Saturday night last, about seven o'clock, five rogues entered the house of Widow Shelley at Loughton in Essex, having pistols, and threatened to murder the old lady if she would not tell them where her money lay. She obstinately refused for some time and they threatened to lay her across the fire if she did not instantly tell them, which she would not do.

But her son, being in the room and threatened to be murdered, cried out that he would tell them if they would not murder his mother. He did; whereupon they went upstairs and took near £100, a silver tankard, and other plate, and all manner of household goods.

They afterwards went into the cellar and drank several bottles of ale and wine, broiled some meat, and ate the relics of a filet of veal. While they were doing this, two of their gang went to Mr. Turkles, a farmer, who rented one end of the widow's house and robbed him of above £20. Then they all went off, taking two of the farmer's horses to carry off their luggage. The horses were found on Sunday the following morning in Old Street.”

The raid took place on 1 February 1735 and widow Shelley's house was in Traps Hill, Loughton. Although the newspaper report does not specifically mention Turpin, it seems likely that he was a member of the gang on this occasion. Turpin often carried out his robberies in the company of a man named Rowden and a report at the time states that Rowden was involved in the robbery at Loughton. A more recent author has written that the crime was conceived by Turpin but no evidence is given for this.

1777. Shelley’s Island in Pennsylvania
- from Mennonite Family History, April 1985

How did Daniel Shelley from a good Mennonite family come to be plotting against the American Revolution, writes E. Elayne Alexander? 

Papers lodged in the Pennsylvania state acrhives suggest that he was implicated in the plot.  The ringleader apparently was the Rev. Daniel Batwell, an English-born local minister.  In the summer of 1777, he and two fellow conspirators were ferried across the Susquehanna from Prunk's Tavern in Newberry to Shelley's Island.  There they met with Daniel Shelley at his fieldstone house and hatched the plot to blow up the York city magazine where the firearms and gunpowder of the Continental Army were stored. 

What was Daniel Shelley's role?  It is not clear.  But the plot was foiled when two of the conspirators had too much to drink at Prunk's Tavern one night and spilled the beans.  Daniel was arrested and imprisoned in Carlisle.  He secured his release after he agreed to turn state's evidence and, apparently, join the Continental Army. 

Daniel returned to Shelley's Island and sired more children.  A family story has it that, after he had buried wife number three, he stood at her graveside, cast his eyes uppward, and exclaimed: "Oh, Lord, must I marry again!"  He did.

1814. William Shelley and the Native Institution
- a chronology of events from the Australian Colonial Secretary papers.

1814 December. Notice of establishment of school for Aboriginal children at Parramatta under a committee with William Shelley as principal.

1815 December.  Earl Bathurst approving of establishment of Native Institution.

1816 April. Twelve boys and girls to be selected from the prisoners of war of a punitive expedition against hostile natives.

1817 March. Accounts in favour of Mrs. Elizabeth Shelley as manager of the Native Institution.

1818 December. General order re annual conference with Aboriginal chiefs and tribes and encouragement for children to be put in Institution.

1820 January. Necessity for removal of the Native Institution from Parramatta and for suitable superintendent (by 1820, 37 aboriginal children had been received, six absconded, two died, one taken by father, and 28 completed their studies).

1824 January. Government and general order thanking the committee of the Native Institution and the Male and Female Orphan Schools for their exertions and relieving members of their duties in consequence of the need to model these institutions on new principles.

The editors of a newly-published book, Great Mistakes of Australian History, say in their introduction that it is “an act of national immaturity” to approach Australian history simply as a series of achievements, without recognising the “misjudgements, misconduct and missed opportunities” that are an inevitable part of any nation’s story.

A principal “character” in this book is William Shelley, the well-intentioned founder of the Parramatta Native Institution – the precursor of institutions and policies that led to the “stolen generations.”

1817.  The Diary of Frances Lady Shelley

- from The New York Times, August 11, 1912.

Who was Lady Shelley?  To say that she was Sir John Shelley's wife would mean that, against the warnings of her friends and through the persistancy of the knight, she had gained a gamester and a horse-racing nobleman of not too obvious a reputation.  She wrote:

"I never went to sleep until my husband came home.  During the first years of marriage this necessitated a great deal of reading and affected my eyesight."

Sir John was a devoted admirer of Lady Hagglestone who did not wish to lose her lover after he had married.  Husband and wife in fact soon went their own ways and each were to entertain lavishly in their separate lives.

Where Lady Shelley excels in her diary is her fragmentary, gossipy recording of human excellance and weakness in the characters of history.  Her pen portraits included such luminaries as the Duke of Wellington and Sir Walter Scott.  She wrote of Scott:

"The only drawback to Scott's society is his wife who is universally allowed to be the greatest bore in Europe.  Scott himself speaks with a tiresome drawl."

If there is one distinctive feature about the diary, it is that it records the small details of an interesting age.  But, unlike Pepys, it does not serve to reproduce the age in which the writer lived.

1818. Mary Shelley – Frankenstein
- from the Preface

“It is a subject of additional interest to the author that this story was begun in the majestic region where the scene is principally laid, and in society which cannot cease to be regretted. I passed the summer of 1816 in the environs of Geneva. The season was cold and rainy, and in the evenings we crowded around a blazing wood fire, and occasionally amused ourselves with some German stories of ghosts, which happened to fall into our hands. These tales excited in us a playful desire of imitation. Two friends and myself agreed to write each a story founded on some supernatural occurrence.

The weather, however, suddenly became serene; and my two friends left me on a journey among the Alps, and lost, in the magnificent scenes which they present, all memory of their ghostly visions. The following tale is the only one which has been completed.“

The tale: a young Swiss student discovers the secret of animating lifeless matter and, by assembling body parts, creates a monster who vows revenge on his creator after being rejected from society.

1820. Shelley’s Ode to the West Wind
- including the poet's notes

This poem was conceived and chiefly written in a wood that skirts the Arno, near Florence, and on a day when that tempestuous wind, whose temperature is at once mild and animating, was collecting the vapours which pour down the autumnal rains. They began, as I foresaw, at sunset with a violent tempest of hail and rain, attended by that magnificent thunder and lightning peculiar to the Cisalpine regions.

"Wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn's being
Thou from whose unseen presence the leaves dead
Are driven like ghosts from an enchanter fleeing,
Yellow, and black, and pale, and hectic red,
Pestilence-stricken multitudes! O thou
Who chariotest to their dark wintry bed
The wingèd seeds, where they lie cold and low
Each like a corpse within its grave, until
Thine azure sister of the Spring shall blow
Her clarion o'er the dreaming earth, and fill
(Driving sweet buds like flocks to feed in air)
With living hues and odours plain and hill;
Wild Spirit, which art moving everywhere;
Destroyer and preserver; hear, O hear!

Thou on whose stream, 'mid the steep sky's commotion,
Loose clouds like earth's decaying leaves are shed,
Shook from the tangled boughs of heaven and ocean,
Angels of rain and lightning! there are spread
On the blue surface of thine airy surge,
Like the bright hair uplifted from the head
Of some fierce Mænad, even from the dim verge
Of the horizon to the zenith's height,
The locks of the approaching storm. Thou dirge
Of the dying year, to which this closing night
Will be the dome of a vast sepulchre,
Vaulted with all thy congregated might
Of vapours, from whose solid atmosphere
Black rain, and fire, and hail, will burst: O hear!

Thou who didst waken from his summer dreams
The blue Mediterranean, where he lay,
Lull'd by the coil of his crystàlline streams,
Beside a pumice isle in Baiæ's bay,
And saw in sleep old palaces and towers
Quivering within the wave's intenser day,
All overgrown with azure moss, and flowers
So sweet, the sense faints picturing them! Thou
For whose path the Atlantic's level powers
Cleave themselves into chasms, while far below
The sea-blooms and the oozy woods which wear
The sapless foliage of the ocean, know
Thy voice, and suddenly grow gray with fear,
And tremble and despoil themselves: O hear!

If I were a dead leaf thou mightest bear;
If I were a swift cloud to fly with thee;
A wave to pant beneath thy power and share
The impulse of thy strength, only less free
Than thou, O uncontrollable! if even
I were as in my boyhood, and could be
The comrade of thy wanderings over heaven,
As then, when to outstrip thy skiey speed
Scarce seem'd a vision—I would ne'er have striven
As thus with thee in prayer in my sore need.
O! lift me as a wave, a leaf, a cloud!
I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed
A heavy weight of hours has chain'd and bow'd
One too like thee—tameless, and swift, and proud.

Make me thy lyre, even as the forest is:
What if my leaves are falling like its own?
The tumult of thy mighty harmonies
Will take from both a deep autumnal tone
Sweet though in sadness. Be thou, Spirit fierce,
My spirit! Be thou me, impetuous one!
Drive my dead thoughts over the universe,
Like wither'd leaves, to quicken a new birth;
And, by the incantation of this verse,
Scatter, as from an unextinguish'd hearth
Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
Be through my lips to unawaken'd earth
The trumpet of a prophecy! O Wind,
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

1852. The Shelley Family Arrives in Salt Lake Valley from England
- an account by Craig Shelley.

James Bowyer Shelley and his family arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on October 3rd.  Thomas Shelley stated in his diary that:

“We came into the valley October 3. On the 6th attended Conference. I saw Brother Brigham for the first time and rejoiced much that I had been counted worthy to be gathered here with the Saints of God.”

Although they attended a General Conference of the Mormon Church and were spiritually revived, their physical bodies weren’t in great shape. Thomas related:

“The 24th of October, my wife Charlotte was very sick, delivered of a child.  It was by the power of God through the Holy Priesthood that she was restored. At the same time I was sick with mountain fever and was brought down very low.  So weak that I could scarcely get out of the house.”

Their journey was over. The entire trip took about eight months. They had fulfilled the commandment to go to Zion.

Late 1800’s. Shelleys in Wolverhampton
- from a town description.

Of course, there were chemist shops in Bilston (Wolverhampton). The listed building opposite the market is well remembered as Shelley's the chemist. The old sculpture on top of the building is said to be Aescapuleius, the famous ancient Greek doctor, whose work was still relied on in modern times. In fact the sculpture may well be of Hercules, as beneath the bust is a club not a caduceus. The club was Hercules' symbol; the caduceus - snakes twisted round a staff - was the medical symbol. But who would notice the difference?

1900’s. Shelley Potteries
- from various accounts of Shelleys and their involvement.

The Shelley pottery business was started around 1748 by Randle Shelley at Longton near Stoke.  The Shelleys produced their own earthenware and decorated the plates and dishes made by Josiah Wedgewood.  Although two of the family, Thomas and Michael, were to achieve some renown as potters, their business failed.  They were declared bankrupt in 1798 and forced to sell their factory.

In 1865, Henry Wileman became a partner in what was then Foley Potteries, eventually became its sole owner, and proceeded to enlarge his factory.  He hired Joseph Shelley as a sales representative. Shelley became his partner in 1872, and, when Wileman retired, Shelley became its sole owner  He kept the "Wileman" company name until 1925, although the goods were marked "Shelley" from 1910.

Joseph's son, Percy, joined the business in 1881, and had a great desire to strengthen their export business and improve quality. He built his own bone grinding mill, which was unheard of, and had the animal bone ground to his specifications - using only cattle bone, which had the best quality of all.

Shelley Potteries went out of business in 1966.  But the Shelley name still lives on in Longton.  For a brief time, Shelley's Laserdome in the town was the heart and soul of the 1980's rave scene in the northwest.   More importantly, the Gladstone Pottery Museum was built on the site of the original Shelley pottery works.  Here, the records and works of Shelley and other local potters are preserved.

1900's - 1930's.  Shelley Burials in South Carolina
- from Pleasant View Baptist Church cemetery records

The following are the earliest records of the Shelleys that are buried here:

- Shelley Noah, May 7, 1819 - Dec. 12, 1902
- Shelley Sarah H, May 14, 1824 - May 18, 1899
- Shelley James T, Dec. 23, 1839 - Jun. 26, 1917
- Shelley John R, June 9, 1841 - Feb. 6, 1911
- Shelley Rebecca, Aug. 30, 1848 - May 15, 1917
- Shelley Daniel J, July 12, 1854
- Shelley Volley B, Sep. 13, 1857 - Dec. 12, 1913
- Shelley Kisiah M. [Harrelson], Dec. 17, 1857 - Aug. 3, 1927
- Shelley George D, 1861 - 1929
- Shelley Charlie P, June 20, 1863 - Jun. 21, 1935
- Shelley Florence Graham, Dec. 23, 1863 - Feb. 15, 1913
- Shelley Agnes S, Dec. 20, 1865 - Mar. 3, 1913, w/o G. D. Shelley
- Shelley Sarah A, May 20, 1866 - Apr. 30, 1928, w/o Jos. M. Grainger

1912. Plaque on the Grave of Kate Shelley
- at the Sacred Heart Cemetery in Boone, Iowa.

"Here is a deed bound for legend; a story to be told until the last order fades and the last rail rusts. On the night of 6th July 1881, Kate Shelley, then a girl of 15 years, crossed the Des Moines river bridge at Moingona Iowa, in tempest and flood and prevented a C. and N. W. passenger and express train from plunging into rain-swollen Honey Creek where two men had died when a bridge collapsed under their locomotive. Her heroism saved the train and those aboard and led to rescue of survivors from the Honey Creek disaster."

1915. The Life of C.C. Shelley
- a family account.

There is some question as to the correct name of C. C. Shelley. The Alabama records and some census' list him as Columbus C. Shelley as well. His grave marker reads "Christopher Columbus Shelley." His family called him "Lum"; his wife called him "Mr. Shelley"; and his eight living children and the two grandchildren that he raised called him "Papa."

He was born September 14, 1847, in Houston County, Georgia, the sixth child and fifth son of Malachi Shelley and Elizabeth "Betsy" Cloud - a Cherokee. When he was about two, he moved with his family to Henry County, Alabama.

Lum was a mere boy when he went to war. His older brothers, Mark, Reuben and Malachi had gone and he wanted to go. He lied about his age so he could join the Confederate Army. Enlisting at Abbeville, Alabama, August 15, 1864, for three years, he said he was seventeen when he actually was sixteen, and his occupation was as a farmer. He went in as a drummer boy because he was so young. He was tall and had thick, black, curly hair, and he had a dark complexion, dark brown eyes - what used to be called "black Dutch." He could read and write.

He belonged to Company E of the Alabama Infantry (formerly Company A, 3rd Battalion, Hilliard's Legion). There is a document showing that he was in the trenches at Petersburgh. He was captured and surrendered April 9, 1865 at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. He was paroled there April 10, 1865.

Years later, when there was talk about applying for pension, Lum refused to apply. He said that he didn't want any pay for getting "whupped." His widow did apply for, and received, a widow's pension beginning in 1926.

He married Susan Dicey Yates on October 22, 1873, in Brooks County, Georgia. He invested in land in Brooks, Thomas and Colquitt counties, which he farmed, had a turpentine operation and ran a commissary for the six or so Negro families and other families who helped him farm. Of their 10 children, eight lived to adulthood. In addition, they raised two granddaughters from infancy, whose mothers died young. He built a school on his land for the Shelley community.

C. C. Shelley died January 22, 1915 at home in Brooks County, Georgia, and is buried in Lebanon Cemetery, for which he donated land. The cemetery is located just on the edge of Pavo, Georgia.

1920’s. Shelley Beach at Manly (Sydney)
- from a local brochure.

Shelley Beach at Manly was a popular meeting place for local fishermen back in the mid 1800’s. They netted the beach by day and enjoyed a cleansing ale by night at the hotel. This hotel burned down at the turn of the century. A caretaker’s cottage was built and a tearoom added in the 1920’s.

1940’s. Norman Shelley and Winston Churchill
- from an October 2000 Observer article.

Proof that some of Winston Churchill's most famous radio speeches of the war were delivered by a stand-in has emerged with the discovery of a 78 rpm record. The record made it clear that Norman Shelley's voice was used to broadcast some of the most important words in modern British history. It was marked 'BBC, Churchill: Speech. Artist Norman Shelley,' and stamped 'September 7, 1942.'

However, it has subsequently been determined that Norman Shelley didn't really broadcast any of Churchill's speeches. The famous "We shall fight them on the beaches" speech was never broadcast on the BBC in its entirety.

If Shelley did record the speech on 7 September 1942, the Churchill Center asks: why did he do it? Churchill originally delivered the speech to the House of Commons over two years earlier, and did not broadcast it at that time (portions were read by a BBC announcer). Churchill did record the speech himself - at Chartwell after the war - and it was ultimately released by Decca Records. Assuming the label to be correct, the time lag makes it clear that Shelley did not record the speech to be broadcast when German invasion was imminent. So perhaps it was intended to be used subsequently in a propaganda film.

1957.  No More Shelley Beers in Hilderstone
- from the Hilderstone village website

"Only the oldest generation of beer drinkers will remember the taste of Shelley's beer which was brewed in Hilderstone (near Stone) in Staffordshire for nearly two hundred years."

This was the opening sentence of an article on the Bird in Hand which appeared in The Sentinel in 1999.  Beer was brewed by the Shelley family from the time of the Industrial Revolution and they supplied beer to other pubs and private houses in the area.  It was not uncommon at this time for small breweries to exist as the new factory workers needed something to quench their thirst.

Records show that there was a James Shelley at the Bird in Hand in 1834, Ellen Shelley in 1851, William Shelley in 1872, Thomas Holdcroft Shelley in 1892, and later Frank Shelley and William Shelley (unfortunately there are no dates recorded for the latter two).

In Mrs. Bossen's Peep into the History of Hilderstone, there is mention of a Mr. W. Shelley of Heathy Close Farm.  He told her that he did not remember his grandfather, landlord of the Bird in Hand, but that he did remember his grandmother being a very small woman.  He also remembered taking the grain to the pub for the beer making process.

The Shelleys continued to brew beer at their pub until 1957 when the Bird in Hand was sold at auction and the new owners no longer carried on brewing.  Fortunately the Shelley family is still closely connected with the village of Hilderstone and Shelleys are involved in all aspects of village life.

1964. Jack Shelley and the Summer of Love
- from the Rojo website

San Francisco's topless scene was born in 1964 and the Condor in the Italian/beatnik area of North Beach.  Looking for a way to pick up business, the Condor owner had asked the police captain if performers could lose their bikini tops.  The police captain gave his blessing and the rest is history. 

The next day the Off Broadway and Big Al's went topless and shortly thereafter so did 350 bars and beanieries from Seattle to Baja. 

"I went out and got topless queen Carol Doda involved in everything," said Condor promoter, Big Davey.  "Anything they ever thought up in Hollywood, I topped it.  I even had Carol chasing the Mayor down the street.  He wouldn't talk to her.  But he's alright." 

Mayor Jack Shelley had indirectly befriended topless, regularly declaring: "Fun is part of our city's heritage."

1991. Rex Shelley’s First Novel
- Rex Shelley's commentary on The Shrimp People.

In my first novel of a quartet on the Eurasians of Singapore and Malaysia, I wanted to describe a typical 'oldie' of the 1920s:

"Don't look now, but there's that old bloke from Singapore," Ray muttered under his breath just before he raised the glass of Swan to his lips. Curious to see a fellow Singaporean face, I made the fatal mistake. With my reactions slowed down by two glasses, I looked over Ray's shoulder. I saw him at once.

A grey-haired old man with a battered look on his face. Brown skinned, a little wrinkled, badly shaven with an eager gleam in his grey-blue eyes. A rounded, Oriental, Malay sort of nose, high cheekbones, but his eyes and large bone structure did not look Asian. He was thin. Perhaps gaunt. But one could see that, beneath the dried skin, there was once muscle in the old fellow's arms.

He caught me looking at him. I had perhaps let my look linger a little too long. He met my eyes, stared unblinking at me for a split second, and the corner of his mouth curled slightly in a smile. He started to move towards me.

"He's coming over, Ray," I said.

"Oh God." He was with us before Ray could say anything more. "Hey, Ray. Howyer mate?"

"All right, and yerself?"

"Couldn't be better. Who's your friend?"

"Oh, this is Robert. He's from Singapore—"

Before Ray could finish speaking, the old fellow interrupted.

"I thought I saw a familiar face. Pleased to meet you. I'm Joe. Joe Coombes." He shot out his hand and gave me a firm, friendly grip. "You're Serani, aren't you?"

"Yes," I replied, feeling guilty about it for some reason or other. Perhaps it was because I should have recognised him as a fellow Serani at once. Ray chipped in, "What's this Serani?" and Old Joe went into explanations about the Eurasians being called Serani and the derivation from the Malay word.

2006. Bruce Shelley and Computer Games
- from an interview on the introduction of Age of Empires III – The War Chiefs in September 2006.

"We're game makers, first and foremost. We never deliberately sit down and try to make any kind of 'statement' with our games.

It just worked on a lot of levels. From a development standpoint, the narrower scope meant that we could finish the expansion pack in a reasonable amount of time. From a marketing standpoint, the focus on Native Americans makes a great bullet point. It isn't something's that's been done like this before and is very different from everything else that's out there. Most importantly, it let our game designers create a lot of interesting new units, buildings and racial abilities that would deepen the strategic experience.

We wanted to pick groups that would be instantly recognizable and represent archetypal aspects of the Native American experience while also offering interesting things that could be turned into gameplay. We ended up picking three groups that players would be able to have an affinity for right away.

First up were the Iroquois, an extremely advanced tribe both politically and technologically. The Iroquois were an extraordinary people. They were very adaptable and mixed quite well with the Europeans, at least for a while. They adopted new technology from the Europeans right away and they became the most 'European' civilization in the game in terms of their strategic design. They even have a primitive version of artillery and a siege engine in the game.

We wanted the Sioux for a couple of reasons. Many stereotypical "Cowboys and Indians" images of Native Americans on horseback are derived from the Sioux. The team could turn that around and use the Sioux's affinity for horses to create a civilization whose strategic bias was obvious just from common knowledge of their culture. The Sioux are built around their cavalry and the idea of raiding. Rushers and micromanagers will be drawn to them immediately just by looking at their list of special horseback units.

The final choice was a bit of a surprise. The team chose to include the Aztecs because they were instantly recognizable, but Aztec culture presented special problems. Aztecs had superb agriculture but no horses. So we had to fill all the strategic roles in the Aztec military with infantry. This resulted in a huge problem with balance, so much so that there were moments when the team wondered if they'd ever get it right. They stuck to it in part because it was difficult and would play quite differently than any other army in the game.

We decided not to include the human sacrifice aspects of Aztec culture. It was a decision similar to the one not to include slavery or any other more unsavory aspects of the European civilizations. History is one thing, a game is something different. We just pulled out the cool aspects of each civilization that would make a fun game -- although we did include suggested readings in the manual. If the game gets people interested in the real history of these cultures, that's great, but that's not its main purpose."